That statement puts a lot of pressure for the first day of a new year. I always have big plans to spend at least a few minutes doing some or most or all of the things I want to do more of in the year that is looming ahead. My plan for today was:
- Get up early
- Sew (probably on a quilt project)
- Work on ornaments (cross-stitch, felt or needlepoint)
- Eat healthy
- Listen to music instead of watching television
- Post to this blog
- Spend less time on my computer
Now mind you, I wasn't planning on finishing anything or making huge strides on any of these things. I just wanted to spend a small amount of time working toward each in the hope that it would all stick. This is how it actually went:
- Overslept (thank-you vodka martinis)
- C25K, pushups, crunches, squats (check!)
- Cast on for a hat twice and TWICE I joined, being careful not to twist my stitches and twisted them anyway. (Ominous beginning)
- I did sew. My plan was to sew for 30 minutes or so and then move on to the other things I have listed, but once I sat down to quilting the table runner I am working on it just seemed easier to finish 'one more section' a bunch of times until about 90 minutes had passed. The good thing is that tomorrow I can bind it and count it finished! My first finish of the new year!
- I actually got my spinning wheel out. Then put the last Harry Potter film in and was distracted the entire time. The fiber was on for about five minutes, so that counts considering the time I spent at the sewing machine.
- A Mary Englebreit ornament made its way out of hibernation for me to look at it. (Looking counts. Right?)
- Ate cookies. Seriously. Wheat makes me feel lousy! I wake up every morning feeling hung over when wheat is in my diet. (Curse on the daughters who made the cookies! A curse, I say!)
- The music over tv? A complete success. Today I was in a Gershwin mood early (watched last night's live from Lincoln Center and it inspired me to listen to Rhapsody in Blue and An American in Paris which led to Ella Sings the George and Ira G. Songbook) then Songs of Joy and Peace (Yo-Yo Ma) and later went for some Haydn (more Yo-Yo Ma) and then thanks to Kennedy Center Honors putting Ma to mind, I took advantage of my free Spotify month to listen to Silk Road Journeys: Beyond the Horizon (even more Yo-Yo Ma). I did watch the Patriots, but that about did it for television. Movies don't count. That is my rule and I only watched one movie.
- Post to blog. (Check)
- Computer time....... Well, I must have been off of it part of the day to get all of these other things done!
I consider the day a moderate success. Even less computer time (stupid Words With Friends) and I could have gotten to the ornament and spun more. And! Had I really had my act together I would have photos for this post. I'll add some to a Weekending post for tomorrow. I think.
Remember this post? I totally meant to post more often during the last week and remind people that the chance to get a free 3-month subscription to Audible.com was up for grabs. I didn't follow through and figure the holiday may have kept people from noticing so I am going to give it a few more days. Leave a comment over there to get in on the fun!
2012. Two. $1.96. Extra lucky for me: 1/2/2012 is the work holiday for the new year. I'm going to consider that part of my Beginning Day and go on from there. Still time to spin, ornament and take pictures. I love making my own rules!