Lagging a day behind on NaBloPoMo I am glad to have a meme-ish kind of thing to get me through some of these days. So this week was Ten Dream Vacations. I sometimes like to change things up a bit, put my own little slant on the lists because really, I'm not that different from everybody else on this earth and would love to go to most of the same place you all want to. Some of them I've been to and would love to go back. To be honest, if I could only go to one place ever for every vacation it would be
- Maui. Got that out of the way. Every year for Christmas. It is my goal.
- Australia. For me: wool. For Pete: Great Barrier Reef.
- The Valley of the Kings. Blame Amelia Peabody.
- I'd love to spend a meaningful amount of time at an ashram or someplace for spiritual growth and meditation. Maybe Tibet. We could go and Pete could climb to base camp at Everest while I.....Don't. I mean, I love a good hike, but I'm happy with Mt. Washington.
- I'd love to do one of those hiking vacations of the Swiss and Austrian Alps. I love to hike, but I don't necessarily love to backpack. That could be a problem. I'd need a sherpa. I mean, I'll carry a little backpack a sock in progress, a snack and my thermos of tea.....
- Until it was condo-ized, we used to rent a cottage in Falmouth Heights each summer. I loved that place, right on the ocean, a short walk from the beach or the ferry to Martha's Vineyard, a great porch (we first read Harry Potter aloud on that porch), great biking.... I really miss that place.
- Sometimes I love going off all by myself to a cottage on Martha's Vineyard or a bed and breakfast in the mountains. Just me, my knitting, books, needlepoint, thoughts. I do love my alone time.
- Holland. Just thought I'd throw that in there.
- These days, with the girls grown up and busy and spread out I really love any place that the five of us can go and be just us, be it hiking or biking, swimming, sailing, beaching, skiing, reading, relaxing, doing puzzles, playing game, watching movies or just hanging out. It is sort of sad that we have to get away to make that happen, staying home and they are all off and doing their own thing. Getting all of us together at one time is nearly impossible. We are lucky though, we have never had a kid not want to be with us and still love vacationing with us. Of course, it could be because we pay......
2010. Seventy-six. NaBloPoMo. 9/9. Well, now my head is spinning with vacation ideas. I have way more than ten. I am usually influenced by something, a movie or book or travel show. Books are the worst, I always want to go to the place I have just read about. In the case of A Prayer for Owen Meany it was easy. Twenty minutes up the road. The Hobbit? Not so much. I did make it to Hogwarts last summer, though.